Energy and Resource Saving Ideas
Recognizing that we all want to do our part to reduce the resources used by the Graduate College, we've assembled the following list of ideas to help reduce our consumption:
- Power down electrical equipment (computers, monitors, printers, multifunction machines, etc.) when not in use.
- Unplug unused equipment when practical.
- Work remotely with Citrix and the VPN (http://virtualdesktop.uiowa.edu and http://helpdesk.its.uiowa.edu/vpn/). Since these services are on all the time, you will save energy using them instead of leaving your desktop powered on. A list of applications available from the Virtual Desktop service is available at: http://helpdesk.its.uiowa.edu/virtualdesktop/applications.htm.
- Use duplex printing as default on capable printers/copiers.
- Turn off your lights when you leave your office.
- Scan and email documents instead of copying or faxing.
- Turn down your thermostat during winter and up during summer. This tip is particularly useful when you will be out of your office for extended periods of time, like over the weekend or on vacation.
- Keep a recycle box in your office and next to copiers and printers; use it for non-confidential paper disposal. When it fills up, empty it into one of the building recycling containers.
If you have any energy or resource saving tips you'd like to add, please send an email via the Webmaster link at the bottom of the page.